"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Monday, April 5, 2010

SURGERY DAY! so I thought...

SURGERY April 1, 2010
Should known better for scheduling on April Fools Day...was admitted, prepped, sedated, interscalene nerve blocked, in the OR, intubated...and no surgery today because of redness in my armpit--considered a fungal infection (note: if your armpit is basically sealed shut with a sling, it's gonna get messy!  20 20 hindsight: clean armpit all the time to avoid all of the above without getting what you came for.  
Pre-surgery, it was all I could manage to keep my mind off what was about to happen--the surgery, the post op pain, the rehab, and the limitations I am to face...100% is what my mind wants, but I have to plan for less than perfect psychologically.  It didn't help that the hospital has decided to cross train their nursing staff, so I seemed to be more in a learning environment than a private setting....including the nurses lack of knowledge of what Dr Amit needed to be done...the checks and balances are there for a reason (like making sure they are working on the right shoulder)...thankfully Dr Amit re-reviewed with his fine tuned comb and crossed their t's and dotted their i's, including his marking on my right shoulder to confirm the correct side.

To summarize, surgery on April 1 was not meant to be.  The good news was the Interscalene block, which kept me numb from the base of the right side of my neck down my entire right arm for the 24 hours.  When that wore off, there was tightness, but at this point, 3 days post-accident, what I thought would be with me for weeks was now gone (of course, until surgery). I started using Nystatin Cream twice daily for the armpit issue.  I was also in a fancy "slingshot 2 by BREG which keeps my shoulder completely stabilized---a huge improvement over the ER piece of crap I was living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment