"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Friday, June 4, 2010

We're going to make me into one mean biker!

I am back on my coach's plan--another step in the right direction!  Without being able to run or swim until 3 months post surgery, Chris and I are focusing on the bike (Ironman is all about the bike anyways).  I never really realized how much I enjoy riding outside; I think it is what brought me back to Triathlon (I could never be just a biker---not challenging enough ;).  In a nutshell, I think it gives me multiple rewards:  it get a good workout, I'm out enjoying the weather/views, I get some alone time to ponder my thoughts and "therapize," and it fulfills my need for a hobby in every way (golf just wasn't cutting it).  Even though rides can be exhausting and painful, I always get home refreshed and energized to enjoy family life with Jenny and Sophia.
So I'm going to be on the trainer a couple times a week doing recovery spins and interval workouts (my bike trainer is amazing...it uses google earth to let me ride anywhere and lets me program in my intervals to the exact workout).   I'll ride on the road 2-3 times a week as well for longer workouts (3-4+ hours).  My setup in the garage is great (TV, trainer with PC software, DVD, industrial fan,...)  but nothing beats the open road and passing other riders.
This weekend's rides: 70+ miles saturday morning with the Tri Scottsdale Crew, including an old neighbor and friend of mine; shorter spin on sunday, and another 70+ ride on monday.  I'll check in after to let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment