"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 6 Done...tough one for sure.

Git er done...I find myself saying that more and more these days.  Things are getting a bit blurry, energy level is blah, days are running together, and all I seem to do is EAT, SLEEP, WORK, TRAIN (and not in that order)...I must be doing this right, as this is the feeling of successful IM training.  Sometimes I catch myself just zoning out---another good sign for someone who can't sit still, AT ALL.  I think we are finally getting a reprieve from the heat, and next week the temps look to be dipping below 100..I don't think there is anyone happier to see that!  Kenny and I again had some epic workouts this week...another 120 mile ride taking us all over town---Scottsdale, Care Free, New River, Lake Pleasant, Cave Creek, Rio Verde, Fountain Hills, Scottsdale...I'm tired just writing that!  That was our long Saturday ride.  I followed that up with a 6 miler that afternoon, then a 19 miler Sunday morning--THAT was tough to get out of bed for!

Other than me pointing out the suffering, it was a great week!  The swim double day was a first, and felt really good---I'm really happy with where my swim is and has been this year.  The bike is coming along better than I could ask for, and I have to thank Kenny for that on the long rides; he keeps the pressure on, and we stay consistent riding together, and we are even adding in "tests"...riding Shea Hill out of Fountain Hills after 100 miles in the big ring pushing 300+ watts the entire hill was an example, and puts a grin on your face when you accomplish something so trivial ;-)  I know I have Chris to thank (of course) for the genius plan he always writes, but Kenny is there to keep those long rides steady, consistent, and at the perfect effort.  The same goes for the run...Kenny and I have been on a terror on our run course, with runs of 15, 14, 16, and 19 in the past 2 weeks.  While the 19 was tough (this past saturdays run), we came out of it feeling just like we did on that Shea Hill interval, running the last mile solid right around 7:00 pace.  We are both feeling great, and honestly feel like we could ride 19-20 mph all day long as well as run a marathon pretty much with ease right under 8 min/mi pace, even with our tired, overtrained excuses for bodies (well, we are in excellent shape, but...no extra "gears" are present right now ;-)

I clear out the specifics of the workouts in the log entry below out of respect for Chris...this is the starting point for the week, and I ended up training just over 22 hours this week...and ready for the insanity to continue!


Aug 29 Mon
 Bike
03:20:00
between this and the run, it's always nice to start your work week staying up until 9:30 getting your workouts in ;-)
 Run

00:40:00

Aug 30 Tue
 Swim
3000.0
01:00:00
Aug 31 Wed
 Bike
01:30:00

 Run
00:30:00

Sep 1 Thu
 Swim
3800.0 yd
01:20:00

 Swim
3600.0 yd
00:55:00

Sep 2 Fri
 Bike
02:30:00

Sep 3 Sat
 Bike
05:30:00
this is a "ride till you hit 4000 kJ" ride: ends up in the 6 hour range for me
 Run

00:45:00

Sep 4 Sun
 Run

02:15:00

TypeDistanceDuration
Bike12:50
Run04:10
Swim03:15
Total Duration:20:15

No comments:

Post a Comment