"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 11 in the books...

To start, here's a couple of pics from our ride up North as well as a "shoe" pic...

Top of Mingus, Carlos on the right and Super Sue finishing the climb
Looking down off of Mingus looking towards Cottonwood and Sedona
I went with a pair of black shoes thinking they would stay cleaner, longer...salt is white though ;-)  and yes, they are about 4 runs old.

Another week down, another week closer to the big dance with the Queen K.  Below is the workout log, of course with the details taken out as to not hang Chris out on the line...As I compare the build period for IMAZ and for Kona, they are two totally different plans---the concern for IMAZ must have been the need for a base (which carried over to this year).  The monster hours on the bike are not in there this time, but instead intensity is in there---things look easier on paper, but when I get a 4 hour "steady state" ride at a specific wattage versus a 5+ hour aerobic ride, the differences are profound.  Of course when I do get an "aerobic" ride, I end up heading to Mingus Mountain for 7000+ feet of climbing...you would think I would take the easy route??!!!  Working harder AND smarter...hopefully.  The highlight of the week was Thursdays brick interval:  AIMP interval session on the bike for 90 minutes, then straight to the track for run intervals---throw in the 10 hour day at work, and this could have been a disaster, but I came out of it feeling like Charlie Sheen "winning!"   The brick run on saturday was brutal, and I slogged through it---I can't wait till race day when I have aid stations with ice.  Running an hour in 105+ degree heat (bike computer said it was 117 when I finished the ride..) with only a fuel belt lasts me all of 20 minutes...tops!

Outside of that, the week was pretty normal, and I am feeling stronger and stronger with every week.  I've put the mess I made of myself on the bike behind me with a solid hydration/nutrition plan for those tough rides---which sometimes mean I have to stop every hour to refill 40 oz of water bottles that I need to keep on the plan...if I could only shorten each stop to 3-5 minutes now ;-)   Looking ahead, we are starting to get ready for Mountain Man Half Ironman on August 14th---the altitude (7000'), hilly bike course...it will be a tough course, just what I need though.  No PR coming on this day for sure.


DatePLANNED WorkoutNotes
Mon
Jul 25
 RestTwo rest days this week...WOW!
Tue
Jul 26
 Swim
4150.0 yd

 Run
00:45:00
Recovery EZ Peezy Run
Wed
Jul 27
 Bike
02:00:00

 Swim
3000.0 yd
00:55:00

Thu
Jul 28
 Bike
01:30:00
AIMP Intervals
 Run
01:00:00
Intervals
Fri
Jul 29
 Swim
4000.0 yd
01:20:00
included 20 x 150...ouch
Sat
Jul 30
 Bike
04:30:00
some intervals in this one
 Run
01:00:00
not just an aerobic workout here either..I was fried on this one!
Sun
Jul 31
 Rest
TypeDistanceDuration
Bike08:00
Rest
Run02:45
Swim11150.0 yd03:30
Total Duration:14:15

No comments:

Post a Comment