"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Monday, August 8, 2011

Week 10 DONE!!...bring on the single digits!

AZ Summer Heat + Ironman Training = Steamed and Cooked!  I constantly wonder how much easier this battle would be if I was in a "normal" west coast climate....something, maybe, 20-30 degrees cooler like San Diego, or back home in SF Bay Area??!!  Geez it's smoking hot here.  Yeah, I will be ready for the heat of Kona no problem, but it would be nice to do a longish brick workout where the run is not in 100+ degree heat EVERY DAY!  Without aid stations, ice, sports drink, and just the psychology of running on asphalt alone, without any of those "delicacies" that exist on the race course...ugh, it is getting old.  There is no such thing as an EZ workout here---the pool is 90 degrees!
All in all, this week was a great week, with plenty of intervals to work in for next weekends 70.3.  I think I have just about kicked a sinus/sore throat/slight lung congestion sickness---definitely some good fortune with us sitting 60 days from Kona, a good "test" race next weekend, and the following insanity I know is coming in the final weeks of heavy training before we start to taper...I'm ready for it, I can smell the ocean (well, the mirage is there on most workouts ;-)
Nate and Jeff fine tuned my bike fit at Endurance Rehab (aka my saviors last year with the collarbone PT), and I am feeling confident in the position.  One final change may come in a new crank--right now I'm on a 175mm that worked for me on the Wilier, but with a slightly smaller Storck frame, the 175 is zapping me of some comfort in the aero position as well as reducing my pedal stroke efficiency.  I'm looking to jump down to a 170mm asap...I am sure it will make a huge difference in so many ways...Nate and Jeff confirmed, so my existing crank is on ebay if interested ;-)

As a side note, I love following other triathletes blogs, and 2 of the best are those of Jordan Rapp  http://blog.rappstar.com/  (one of his quotes is at the top of this blog, and pretty much explains how I view race day ;-) and Jesse Thomas  http://leapdaysports.com/.  Jesse's usually has me "ROTFLOL-ing" while Jordan's is full of very good information and thoughts.  Recently, Jordan published a piece of "Divine Discontent"...which is explained below:

‘Divine discontent’ means that within us is the constant desire to be better, and it is a sacred gift. That if we refuse to settle for what we have, for the success we’ve reached so far, then we can become better versions of our mortal selves. If you aren’t happy with being a national semi-finalist, then make a change. If you aren’t happy with your role on this team, make a change. Let it begin with you. Don’t mistake this dissatisfaction with thanklessness or ingratitude or a want for vanity or selfish desires. It’s like a hallowed ember that’s constantly turning inside you; it includes a gratitude for what you have, but it’s accompanied by a drive to make it excellent, almost transcendent.


I was planning on a blog entry about this topic, but time is getting in the way, and it's just not happening right now, so I thought I would link to Jordan's discussion on it...Jordan's Divine Discontent...if you ever have time to kill, read his other posts as well...

Anyways, below is the "basic" entries for last week:  not terribly hard until you understand that it was all done in 98+ degree heat, and most of it was interval work.  


DatePLANNED WorkoutDescription
Mon
Aug 01
 Bike

01:30:00

 Run

01:30:00

Tue
Aug 02
 Swim

01:00:00
3000---which means higher intensity!
 Bike

01:15:00

Wed
Aug 03
 Run

01:10:00
tough interval day at the track
Thu
Aug 04
 Bike                      Intervals                        
01:30:00

 Run

01:15:00
right off the bike into some decent running...tough for an "end of the week" brick for sure!
Fri
Aug 05
 Swim

01:15:00
4150
Sat
Aug 06
 Bike

03:30:00
shortest saturday ride!
 Run

01:00:00
EZ on paper, tough when it's 105 out after the bike!
Sun
Aug 07
 Swim

01:30:00
4000---nice end to a week with a morning swim!


TypeDistanceDuration
Bike07:45
Run04:55
Swim03:45
Total Duration:

No comments:

Post a Comment