"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Friday, May 28, 2010

Week 6 Post Surgery Check In

Yesterday I passed 6 weeks since surgery.   I had my check up with Dr Amit 2 days ago, and he determined that all is going as planned at this time...which translates to there is not evidence of union in the xray (see below).  He's happy with my progress in rehab...my range of motion is coming along with little to no pain, but with plenty of soreness and stiffness.  To try to describe how my shoulder feels, it is like I had a shoulder joint replacement---my shoulder feels almost foreign to me--almost robotic.

Dr Amit okayed active rehab and strengthening of the "little boy" arm and shoulder that I have--a good sign in my mind!  My homework to date has consisted of 4 exercises done twice daily...on wednesday we added 3 additional active/strengthening exercises.  On a high note, with mild convincing, Dr Amit said getting out on my road bike is okay---I just need to stay away from jolting movements...I am still deciding if it is worth the risk, but I think I'm ready to test it with a one hour ride tomorrow morning with the group (ride with the "C's" for sure (C = slow riders).

Outside of what I wrote above, my impression of the fracture is that it has not formed a union...I am basing this on the way it feels when I move it.  Today I am actually getting a little bit of a pinch in the site when I do my pully workout.  This is a first, because I have had no pain in the surgery/clavicle area at all...I did take a "hit" on wednesday while diving to keep Sophia from taking a tumble...and I'm hoping that was the cause.  My impression of the xray is that bone is forming, but we just don't have union yet---and with how things felt during my pully workout, maybe I need to take it careful.  I'll keep taking my Calcium/Vitamin D and plenty of dairy!

To sum it up...tons of progress, but where I really need progress is in the union so I can really start pushing the rehab!

No comments:

Post a Comment