"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Friday, May 14, 2010

TGIF?? Not on the IM Prep Yet...

So today marks the end of the first week of Physical Therapy (and 4 weeks post surgery)...now I understand why people have told me that this is a tough injury.  I visit Brandon and Nate 3x a week over at Endurance Rehab---which should really be called "How to put someone in a UFC submission hold."  The good news is they are buddies as well as my therapists, the bad news is they are buddies as well as my therapists ;)  They know I am committed to getting full range of motion back, which means they're gonna push the pain!   I have a hard time understanding the rationale of treatment, because it seems like the fracture has not healed, and the exercises don't exactly promote stability of the fracture, so I guess the movement of my shoulder will promote the pieces to at some point callous together?  Literally, during manipulation, I think they are trying to "grind in" the two pieces--it feels as horrible as it sounds. Additionally, therapy consists of them basically breaking up the scar tissue that has developed---which feels like they are tearing the tendons and ligaments to allow me to move it again.  If I don't do my part at home (3 exercises 2x daily), the shoulder will tighten back up...putting yourself through the pain electively, I have to say, is harder than having someone else do it, because at least you don't have a choice when they do it.

So life goes on...Nate also let me know that realistically I shouldn't expect to get back on the bike or swim until July 15 (which is 3 months from the day of surgery---standard protocol...2 months from tomorrow...ouch!  So, I'm working my tail off with the exercises, riding the trainer as much as possible, and playing with Sophia and Jenny as much as possible---life is good!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh! Sounds like you're going through some excruciating pain! I know you are mentally strong and realize you must go through this to get better, but hang in there and you'll make it! I have a lot of confidence in you and that you will get to where you need to be. It just may take longer than you think. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete