"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Final "Crash Aftermath" Post!

It's time for me to move on...nope, I'm not discontinuing this diary, but going to the next chapter!  Yesterday was my first Rehab session---so I'm healed ;)))  Only kidding, I have a long road ahead of me before I'm swimming laps (and even longer before I'm swimming 5K again like I was 6 weeks ago), riding on the road (...100+ miles on saturdays), and running (...2 hours at race pace).  BUT, i did ride the trainer 2 nights in a row, and I could actually place my right hand on the handlebar last night!!! (for a whole 60 seconds at a time!)  Baby steps!

So Rehab Appt #1 was last night with Brandon---right away I was amazed at what he was able to do with my arm that hadn't left my side since March 29.  He immediately had the arm off my side while I was laying on my back on the table...working it to almost straight out from my side laterally and frontally--I was the happiest person in the world watching in pain ("tell me when it's a 6 on the pain curve").  After he loosened it up a bit, we started exercises (just 3 of them for now) for me to do 2 times a day, everyday along with pendulum exercises as well.  After, the shoulder was dead, but I was happy, and off to home I was with my bag o' ice.  The cousins were all spending the night, so pizza was the dinner menu---3 pieces later I was stuffed beyond necessity.  The pizza would not digest, but I wasn't going to go without my trainer session, so I jumped on the bike, started the 2009 Ironman DVD for the 100th time, and rode with that right hand finally making it's way back to the handelbar!  I am thinking my goal of June 1st is within reach for training full speed ahead---but this is just the first step of many to come before I get there...I should keep that in check!

My goal for now is riding the trainer at least an hour a day until I get back on the road...then, full speed ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment