"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Saturday, October 1, 2011

Kona Ironman 2011: Settling In & The Swim

I'm here!  The Holy Ground!  It hasn't hit me yet, and I almost feel that it won't ever hit me that I am finally here...but I have reached my Destination...a place that 15 years ago was dream, 10 years ago was dream given up on, 2 years ago was a dream re-ignited, 10 months ago became a reality, and week from today, it comes true.  There are no words or ways to describe what this means, but for you triathletes reading this, you understand it...to my family and friends, you know my passion for this sport, and while you think I'm a bit off my rocker, you believe in me, support me, and I hope next Saturday, I can show you that anything is possible if you put your mind to it---that is what I prove to myself next Saturday.

Half of my family is here, and I am missing Jenny, Sophia, and Andrew more than you can imagine---I've only been here 36 hours!  I'm enjoying catching up with my family...it's been forever since I have sat down with them, joked, relaxed, and just lived a "normal life" around them versus over a decade of weekend trips to the Bay Area for brief visits.  I am soo happy that they are here with me...it makes this that much more special!  My mom and I had about a day alone, and it was great to catch up with her, and my dad, Jeanette, Vito, Beth, and Christopher came in yesterday afternoon---the gang is gathering!  My mom and I made a stop by Lava Java after the swim from dig Me Beach, and we had dinner at Huggos with the family---good times!  I miss my babies A LOT though (yes, jenny is included as one of my babies ;-).

The first 36 hours have been fairly smooth...although I think I destroyed my phone with my off the charts sweat rate.  It is sitting in rice as we speak, but I think it is toast, and maybe that's a good thing for the week ahead...less distraction.  FaceTime is amazing BTW...being able to see Jenny, Sophia, an Andrew versus just a phone conversation makes it a little more tolerable---have I said that Jenny is an angel before? Well, she is a godsend ;-}

I've caught up with Kenny a few times....a couple rides from town out past the airport and back, and we also swam on the course friday morning.  It's good to have my training partner back!!  He's giving me some heads up on the course, and today we are going to go out for a 3 hour ride/30 minute run---excited!  I think my mom will drive us up to Kawaihae, and from there, we'll ride up to Hawi, then back to town and head out on our run on Alii Dr...should be a blast!

Outside of that, I'm looking to keep things mellow, rest up, and relax...A LOT!!!  I did do some multimedia stuff (the camera kit I have with me is pretty obnoxious...DSLR, GoPro, defunct iPhone, Kodak Flip Cam)....so you get to benefit from that with my first installation of Kona Ironman 2011---it's a little lengthy at about 12 minutes...but enjoy!  I am especially proud of the one armed drills :-)  BTW, not knowing the course, I didn't realize I had swum almost the entire thing until I was at the turn buoy...that must mean my swimming is in good shape then...enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. I'll be there tomorrow, but I still fell like I can live vicarously through you... Nice job of documentation, Svans!!

    ReplyDelete