"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Thursday, October 6, 2011

1 Day &15 Hours...Final Prep!

This is what Ironman is all about:  I'm rested, I'm feeling good, and have never been in as good of shape as I am today and will be tomorrow...and I am on a mission to destroy it all over 9+ hours on saturday.   I am really missing Jenny Sophia and little Andrew and soo wish they were here, but the Big Man had plans to bless us with Andrew a few weeks back, and I wouldn't change it for a second.

Gift from Sophia...hasn't left my arm or my thoughts...
This past week (I have been here a week already....jikes) has actually been pretty mellow, but nonetheless, I seem to be busy everyday. It just must be that I am used to keeping busy, so that is what I have been doing. Today is a rest day (20 minute run this morning...), and outside of a trip up to a Coffee Plantation (awesome BTW...think wine tasting but sub out the alcohol and add caffeine, lots of it!) which was 5 minutes from our house, I've been somewhat successful.

I've been in the water plenty, and with the South Swell that has been rolling through, it's been nice to get out and get comfortable with the rollers.  My swim is feeling very fluid and comfortable, and honestly, swimming here is an absolute joy---you can see everything...the feet in front of you, the beautiful fish below, and the reefs.  I imagine my swim will be slightly over 1 hour due to the swell---I'll take what it gives me (as is my motto for the entire day).

I posted this video on You Tube, and have plenty more video to process, but it just takes tons of time to do so!!      
Kona Swim Video

More video:  channel 3 back home is running this friday night   Channel 3 Kona Video

And more:  Bike Video finally published to YouTube:  Kona Bike Video

Mural with everyone's name on it
Grant Harrel and I 
So after watching those, you get an idea of what I've been up to...and what I have coming, and much higher speeds and effort.  I have some video going in and out of the Energy Lab coming as well, along with a fun swim with John Dean including the Coffees of Hawaii Catamaran Floating Coffee Bar ;-)

I haven't run much since I've been here, but have biked every day but today.  It's been great to feel my legs come into form.  When I arrived, my legs were a bit dead, and after a 3 hour ride early on, they weren't necessarily feeling well, but as the rides have tapered and race pace + intervals have increased, they've come alive (along with some body work bringing them out of hibernation!).  

Natascha Badmann too many Kona Wins to count!!!  6 I think!
I have to say you get a bit star struck here, and I've become quite the name dropper.  Yesterday we were doing intervals "with" Maik Twelsiek (well for a few minutes at least.  As he started to pull away I sent one of my conquistadors after him (JD of course)...and I have to say he was up there on his butt ;-)   Otherwise, you name em, we've seen em...saw Faris Al Sultan in the water yesterday at the turn buoy (have video!)...Macca all over the place, Lieto, Raelerts, Rinny, Leanda, Alexander, Dibens, Terenzo and those are just off the top of my head in the last 24 hours---classic was passing Lieto on Ali'i on the bike while he was strolling back to his place, only to have Chris stop and chat with him for a minute or so and follow it with stories of them racing together in the past (where Lieto would draft off of Chris, and the use of tape on his foot for Lieto to know it was him ;-)  sorry Chris, swim draft is legal though ;-)  I got a ver y cool signature from Terenzo for Andrew....
Sorry...too lazy to rotate!



Tonight I'm off to the TYR house with my AIMP buddies---it will be awesome to catch up with them as most of them I never see as most of them live in the Bay Area or elsewhere.  Great times!

Anyways, love being with my family and friends...more to come, hopefully tomorrow as I rest ALL DAY!!!

cheers from Kona....


No comments:

Post a Comment