"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Monday, July 12, 2010

It's a good day!

So it's been a while since I checked in on here...but not because nothing has changed!  I've been staying away from swimming because I felt like it was not doing me any good to swim the wrong way--swimming the right way was not possible without some pinching and mild pain, and I did not have the "OK" to push my range of motion with freestyle swimming.  I've been on my bike a lot (except fro a 2 week period where the bike shop took forever to get me a replacement crank--at which point I caved and am now riding a 175mm crank versus a 172.5mm crank.  I notice the increase in diameter in the rotation, but hopefully it is a good move??!!  One new good thing is I've been riding in the aero bars without any problems with my shoulder--it's great to be in the aero bars again and I didn't realize how much I rode in them before until this happened---another good thing!  Running has been without issue as well other than some soreness from the impact of running...I ran 7 miles in San Diego over the weekend and held a 7:08 pace, so that, along with the bike improvements, made me feel that I can recover from this!  I also rode a lot over in San Diego (about 200 miles in 7 days), and I think the hills of San Diego really boosted my riding endurance---awesome!

Anyways, the big news of the day is my 3 month post surgery check up was this morning--I went in holding my breath because lately I had the feeling that I may have had a non-union from that way things felt (lots of pinching and unable to move in certain positions without it feeling like it was in 2 pieces still).  My scapula is still "winging" a bit, but  I can raise my right arm straight up in the air (but with slight guarding/blocking).

After x-rays and evaluating, the news is good!  (x-rays below)  Dr Amit is seeing a good size callous forming between the two pieces---the massive amounts of Calcium with Magnesium and Milk have done their duty!  He said the pinching is pretty normal, as is the tightness due to the increase in bone mass in the area (the skin over the site is TIGHT!).  He said "let pain be your guide" at this point, and restrictions are lifted but not to overdo it (sure!).

So off we go on this journey to see if I can get into "my" idea of great shape for November 21st...a sub 10 hour time is still the goal and we have 130 days to get there!  I know I can get there physically, it's the mental side of the race that scares me---the "just walk" voices need to be conquered!  One step at a time though..let's see how brutal the road back is for swimming...I'm going to have to learn how to swim all over again, and maybe that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment