"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Monday, December 13, 2010

What I use for Nutrition Products...and my love For First Endurance!

I've had a few people ask me about the products I used for IM nutrition and how I used them, so I thought I'd get all fancy and take pics...the product line I use is by First Endurance...they are the nutrition suppliers for many pros and elite amateurs out there, and they are the supplement of TEAM BMC and TEAM HTC on the "BIG BIKE CIRCUIT", as well as triathlete pros I admire, two being Jordan Rapp and Michael Lovato...so they must be good.  Everything I have ever read about their products has always been praising, and I cannot argue one bit.  I actually think that without these types of products (I have tried others, but First Endurance hit a home run from the get-go for me), I would be on the couch, 20 lbs heavier, watching football all weekend depressed that I was a lazy oaf.

So here is what I use and when I use it...(click on the underlined text to link to the product @ www.firstendurance.com), I use them daily!


MultiV: think if it as a multivitamin complex made specifically for endurance athletes...for anything more specific, go to their website.  I take 3 tablets daily religiously.  As with most of these nutrition lines, they work together much better than they do alone---I wouldn't take a Centrum, then use the rest of these products .  It's patented and most significant ingredient is Carbogen, which is clinically proven to increase time to exhaustion by 43%, reduce lactate levels by 58% and improve carbohydrate utilization...it's good stuff, but this is only the first step...

Optygen HP:   I wonder what this product doesn't do when it comes to endurance training.  Everything I list next I believe is 100% true from my own use of Optygen HP...increases exercise capacity, muscular strength, increase the body's ability to adapt to high levels of physical stress, increase anaerobic threshold, reduce lactic acid, improve power output.   I take 4 capsules pretty much daily, sometimes taking a break from it when I am in a "off" period.

EFS Drink:  This is my "Gatorade"...but worlds better.  The picture on the right shows the comparison to other product lines.  The question is "how concentrated is too concentrated" when it comes to electrolyte replacement.  For me, I have a high sweat rate..combine that with the dryness and heat of Arizona, and I am losing TONS of electrolytes when I work out (and in the summer...yikes!!!)  I use this product exclusively (no salt tabs) for my "fluid with calories"...otherwise I just drink water.  I never cramp, and I used to always cramp!  I use 2 scoops (200 cals) per 20 oz bottle, and that concentration seems to work great "for me."  Some people I know go with a more concentrated mixture, and others do the opposite...it's just a personal preference.  This is in my bottle poolside, on rides, and in my fuel belt...and I'll use it any time I am "loading hydration" for a long day...just drinking water ends up "rinsing out" your electrolytes, so avoid hyponatremia and use an electrolyte drink before long training days (especially in AZ, and especially if you have a high sweat rate).  EFS also has Malic Acid and Amino Acids as well...all good stuff for endurance!

Ultragen:  For every one of these products, I want to write "this is the highlight of their product line."  I really think that is true!  They all work so well, and the Ultragen was the first product I used from First Endurance...so I obviously love it if guided me toward the rest of the product line.  I use this for recovery...the "within 30 minutes of exercise" is the time this should be used, just mixed with water and ice, and I have to say they are pretty tasty!  Well, the Cappuccino and the Creamsicle are, the Fruit Punch is simply awful.  So after rides and runs of higher intensity or longer length, or after every workout in a tough build block, this is what I use EVERY TIME.  I could do a tough run in the morning, then have a shake, and jump on the bike in the afternoon and feel full of energy---it's crazy how well these products work for me.  One serving has 60g of carbs (dextrose) and 20g of protein (whey).  It also has a ton of amino acids, glutamine, and other good stuff (techincal term).

So those are my most used products...I use EFS Liquid Shot as my gel...100 cals per swig, and used as my "fuel" on long rides (a 5 oz flask holds 400 cals/100g carbs)  I don't use it all the time, but when I got close to IM, I use it exclusively on the bike to get my stomach on board with race day nutrition...focusing on 300 cals an hour (through trial and error, this amount works for me at race pace).  I count on Liquid Shot and EFS for my calories exclusively on the bike in races, nothing else.  I stay comfortable, fueled, energized, and feel I have total control over my nutrition with these products.  Whenever I take in Liquid Shot, I wash it down with water only, and when I use it on longer runs, I dilute it with water (it mixes very well!) so I can get it down easy when running.  They just came out with a Berry Flavor which I haven't tried, but the Vanilla is still great (I probably will try the Berry, but the Vanilla agrees with me!).  It has tons of electrolytes and amino acids, all of which keep you well fueled through workouts and racing.


Pre Race:  This is the "Spark"...I'll use it before a tough workout as a "pick me up" and to keep my body used to it.  It's in my "pre race" water bottle, mixed with a serving of EFS.  I also used it in IM AZ off the bike.  Once I settled into the run, I had this in a fuel belt flask, again mixed with a bit of EFS more for taste, and it kept me focused, energized, and feeling strong throughout the marathon.  I had another dose in my special needs, but I didn't use it.  Think of it as caffeine, but without the side effects (GI emptying, diuretic...).  It's main ingredients include  Quercetin (the same stuff that is in FRS), Taurine (the stuff in some energy drinks), Malic Acid, and a "neurostimulant blend".  All of this increases mental acuity and focus...especially after 6 hours in an Ironman, I never wavered from what I was focused on..




I almost feel like I should put a disclaimer on here that I have nothing to gain by writing this...I write it for friends that have asked and want more information, and I feel I provide an unbiased opinion on anything I recommennd, and I use it because I have researched it, it's competitors, and have chosen the product because it is the best... TEAM FIRST ENDURANCE BLOG is a great resource...there's  a forum full of useful  information---successes and failures, how to use,...join it if you want more information, and with a motto that states  "Our goal is to have 100% of our members complete ultra endurance races with no bonk, no cramps, and no gastric distress,"  what more could you want??  I would only add the benefits of fast recovery (Ultragen and Optygen HP) and mental focus (Pre Race)...now, really, what MORE could you want??

I do eat regular food, and lots of it...maybe that will be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment