"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

2 Weeks Post Op

So I am 2 weeks removed from the IM AZ course...it seems like it was a month ago.  I've managed to squeak in a workout here and there, suffered a bit with a cold (runny nose!), and eaten A TON!  I can't go in the kitchen anymore...I have an eating problem.  Add in the time of year, and I've been up to no good---lots of stuff I haven't eaten all year.  So tomorrow starts the comeback...and it starts with my diet!  No more ice cream, pizza, hamburgers (last night was the BEST....Roaring Forks Big Ass Burger!), candy...you get the idea.  I've been off my First Endurance products since the race, and I can honestly say I can't move forward without them.  After running two days in a row, my quads ache, my calves are tight, and I had zero soreness through the heavy training blocks setting up for IM...they simply are amazing products that allow me to constantly push my envelope without suffering from the "old" effects of heavy volume...they are my drug!!  The good news is I haven't gained a pound...I think Ironman Arizona is perfect for the holidays...next time I'm going to eat to my hearts content and see what happens, although I don't think I can eat any more than I have the past two weeks!  I tried to curb the hunger today by making sweet potato chips, but because I was in the kitchen, the pantry and fridge were calling me, and they won.  Here's my sweet potato chips---not too appetizing, but food is for nutrition, right?  Well, I did put honey and cinnamon on them.


I'm a little concerned on how I will get back into it...Sunday I rode for 40 miles, and felt like I rode around the block--hardly a workout.  It is the "offseason," but I wanna GO!   Chris has always led me right, so I'll follow his lead.  Chris has put my workouts in for the next 2 weeks: 11.5 hours this week and 13.5 next week...all focused on building for PF CHangs Marathon on January 16th, but it is definitely going to be cross training with swimming and biking to break it up.  The sound of "just" running just doesn't sound appetizing at all, so we will see how it goes!  I'm going to do a 12K this Saturday, and Chris okayed it reluctantly, saying "if you blow a hammie I'll be pissed"...I can't let him down!!!  So if my time is less than fast...I have a built in excuse.  After PF Changs, I have Ragnar Relay--a 202 Mile running relay.  Our team has 6 runners, basically doing 3 half marathons over the course of 2 days, uninterrupted...gonna be psychologically challenging living out of a van in constant motion keeping up with the race...but should be a great team experience in a sport that is otherwise solo.  Our team is basically 5 guys who just did Arizona Ironman, and "fleet footed" Ben, who has run close to 15 marathons this year...FAST!!!  Last year a high school participant was killed when he was hit by a car, so we are running in support of his endowment fund...it's really great to have a cause to run for.  The week after Ragnar, I head to Tucson for training camp...where I feel it all started last year.  I came into that camp not knowing where I was...how I would "rank", "compete", or even "can I keep up?"  I left there energized, feeling like I was shot out of the canon.  Then March 31st came (crash = broken clavicle), then April 15 (surgery), and then July 15 (starting from scratch with training).  So this year, I'm going to skip the drama....and race pretty consistently, all focused on October 8th (Kona) and November 20 (Arizona).  I have 3-4 Olympic Races set, and 3 Half Ironmans as well.  We will be busy!!

Schedule:


January 16: PF Changs Marathon
Feb 17-22: Tucson Training Camp
Feb 24-25: Ragnar Relay (3 half marathons over the 202 mile relay)
April 10: Marquee 1/2 Ironman
May 7: Rio Salado Olympic
May15: Tempe International Olympic
June 4 Deuceman 1/2 Ironman
July 17 Mountain Man 1/2 Ironman
Sept 25: Nathans Olympic
October 8: IM Kona
Nov 20: IM AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment