"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Early Season Build is Over.... (this is an entry from apr 3rd...posted to the old blog by mistake!)

So today I wrapped up my biggest build set of the year so far, which isn't saying much!  But, three weeks with 18+ hours a week of training I guess is enough...for now.  The first of the 3 weeks was a struggle...suffered a bit from overtraining, but as I made it into week 3, the workouts got easier, even as the intensity increased.  Back to back 4 hour ride/1 hour run days are now the norm...until IM build which will probably be 6 hour rides/90 minute runs.  I think this block started when I asked Chris "When can I start training more?" as I felt I wasn't doing enough---well, this was enough (he sensed me complaining at one point in the block and let me know, but I will NEVER complain, but will report how I feel (which could be taken as complaining, but I GOTTA report in ;-))

Some highlights of the workouts have been the Bartlett Lake Tri Clinic that ONE Multisport put on.  I was lucky enough to be able to go out and enjoy a nice swim versus "volunteer"...our club is full of great people who don't turn a shoulder when it comes to giving back--THEY ROCK!   It was great to see a bunch of newbies out there---the sport is a daunting one to find a way in--so many little intricacies with gear, training, racing, the "tricks"....they got a load of info in one half day...awesome!

My overall impression of where I'm at right now is the following:  Swim---feeling very strong, and could just use some more technique improvement after Marquee Triathlon (70.3) next weekend.  Bike---also feeling strong, but always hard to tell because I am never "fresh" through these big training blocks.  I remember riding the IM AZ course 2 weeks before the race and having about 60% power compared to how I felt race day (ask James Bruce...I couldn't hang with him!)...so I am used to feeling blasted on the bike, knowing that when I come out "the other side of the tunnel" that I'll have speed and endurance exactly as Chris has built in for me.  Run---always the toughest to tell, but I know my endurance is there, and it is all about how far I want to go into the pain cave.  Training runs are all going well, and I think the carryover from IM AZ, PF Changs Marathon, and Ragnar are keeping me moving forward---calf strains are gone completely (no compression needed at all now).  Last week I had a 4 hour ride followed by a 45 minute run including 8 x 1' fast---and I was in the 5:40/mi time, and then this week I had a 3 hour ride followed by an hour run with 8 x 1' hill repeats FAST---both went very well and I never felt like I was going to cave, so I'll say my run is in good shape too!  win win win!!!

My biggest issue right now is the heat...we hit 98 this past week, and it sucks the water right out of you.  I'm trying to drink as much water as I can, and I think it's time to kick the coffee habit unless it's an EZ or rest day---gotta do what I gotta do!  It's now an issue on the bike and run---needing to fill bottles mid workout versus riding 4 hours on 2 bottles.  Now I have to double it in order to get off the bike feeling like standing upright.  When this build block started, temps were in the lower 70's at the most...now we are in the 90's!  Just gotta love the AZ summer.  So all in all, with the temperature rising as the intensity rose, and feeling stronger week to week, I'd say this was a great build period with lots of gain both physically and mentally!

I guess the only other thing to add in this post (I promise they'll get more exciting once racing starts!) is the article in Scottsdale Health Magazine...a crazy thing to say the least!  I was approached by Bill Richman (owner of the magazine) as I have known him for a while due to our Dental Practice Ad we have in there.   The idea sounded awesome, and highlighting the ONE club while trying to promote the sport was what really got me excited.  There are 10+ people I know that could have just as easily been on that cover and had that awesome article written about them---I guess it's a little bit along the lines of "it's who you know" kind of deal!  So, here's the digital version of the article, and I plan to insert the individual photos into the blog here soon!


And yes, the caption on the right was changed---I couldn't handle the pressure of "Next Ironman Winner"  ;-} 


Up next:  my Marquee Triathlon Race Report!!!Scottsdale Health April 2011 Issue

No comments:

Post a Comment