"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Time to get serious

I'm coming off a "recovery week," although I've swam 4000+ yards on 3 of the last 4 days...it should be obvious, but we are working on the swim.  In 2 days, I'm off to Tucson for Training Camp---tons more swimming and add in 240+ miles on the bike and some running, and the base part of this year should be completed.  I get home monday, then turn around and start the Ragnar Relay Ragnar Del Sol ...running 28 miles---divided into 3 legs over 36 hours.  I'm gonna be fried come Feb 27th!

The hardest part of these two weeks will be that I'll be away from home---I'm missing Jenny and Fia already and I haven't even left :^(

I have to keep convincing myself that Kona is just a race---one day, that's it.  I'm telling myself that all of this preparation is to move my body as fast as it can over this 9+ hour period---it seems so easy when I think of it like that. How hard can it be?  IM AZ was the same distance--crappy weather and all!  I'll be ready for the heat (summer training in 105+ degree heat!), but the humidity will be the x-factor.  It's hard for me to imagine I need to get down to 160 lbs from my current weight of 170---I'm already skinny to almost everyone, but I feel that 10 pounds as drag and know where it is on my body---it's wasted space!  I won't try to lose the weight, but I have a feeling the summer training will chase it away no matter what I eat.  And looking at my workouts so far, I can only assume that Chris' Kona plan will be daunting compared to what I did for AZ.  234 days to Kona---we all know how fast time flies!

Past Ragnar Relay on Feb 25-26, I'm set up to do Marquee Half Ironman here in AZ...actually the course is an abbreviated IM AZ course---swim in Tempe Town Lake, bike is  2 loops on a slightly shorter IM AZ bike route, and the run is also 2 loops on an abbreviated IM AZ run course.  It should be a great early season race!  I've decided to really focus on IM Kona and IM AZ and keep me as fresh as possible through the year, so I think I'll race less---but who knows what will happen.  Probably some Olympic Distance Races and one or two half IMs at the most--I need my family time!

But for now, off to Tucson---Camp report next!

No comments:

Post a Comment