"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Monday, September 6, 2010

Coast Ride this Week!!


So it's 76 days to IM AZ and all seems well...I just completed a pretty big week of training in the 100+ degree weather here, and it looks like cooler weather is heading our way...awesome!!!!   It seems like lately it really doesn't matter what the workout is; I just put on my goggles, helmet, or shoes and hit the workout...the distances don't phase me at this point anymore...it could be a 4500 yard swim, 100 mile bike, or 2.5 hour run, I just get it done and move on, eating and drinking as much as I can along the way.  I have kind of figured that I have put a lot into this race already, and now it's GO time to make it all pay off...I approach it like it's kind of a second job and go about my business, knowing that the more I focus on getting more efficient, better fueled, and just raise my ability to go further faster and longer, the bigger a celebration November 21 will be...I have put "just a little bit" of pressure on myself ;))  Regardless, I daydream about the finish, seeing everyone there who has supported me along the way, and being able to turn my body "off" once I cross the line--for the first time in recent memory, that will be one of the rewards I receive at about 5 pm on that Sunday before Thanksgiving!

So back to reality of what's going on today!  I am heading to ride the coast from SF to Santa Barbara this coming Thursday to Saturday...a map of each days ride is here:Mill Valley to Marina...Marina to Morro Bay...Morro Bay to Santa Barbara.  So we are right at 400 miles in 3 days, including a run after the first two days to do more IM prepping...I am thinking I'll get a huge boost doing this as the temps will be 40 degrees cooler and the miles will make this the biggest build week yet--another awesome!!!   They'll be 9 of us riding, including about 6 of the guys and gals that I trained with in Tucson back in March...it should be a blast!

The unfortunate side of the ride will be that Chris will not be riding with us...he pulled a me, breaking his clavicle at the Escape from Alcatraz (there are 3 of these now!).  He had a marshall motorcycle in front of him, and while he was descending a hill going about 40 mph, the motorcycle wasn't going fast enough, so he had to brake hard, then hit a pothole, and went down hard...check out this link to see the damage:  Chris Hauth Bike Crash...OUCH!!  Luckily, no surgery for him as it stayed pretty much together, with 2 clean breaks.

While in the Bay Area I'll get to see the family...only for a day, but I'll take anything I can get!  Oh, and if I'm not busy enough already, I have my 20 year high school reunion to hit up on saturday night if we get back into town at a decent hour....I may catch just a bit of it, but it would be good to see a few of my old friends from back in the day!

I'll try to take some pics along the ride...maybe I'll find myself in one or two for once!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment