"I like you. I'll gladly sit down and have dinner with you after the race. But when the gun goes off, I pretty much hate you, and I want to stomp your guts out. That's racing." -J Rapp



"the best night of my life.....
...in the most beautiful place on earth"



"It's just one, long, tedious conversation with yourself" -Paula Newby Fraser






"Have faith- trust in the plan - the breakthrough will come. I promise. " Woo




"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime.” -Mark Allen




“The only time you can be brave is when you’re afraid.”


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

No news is good news!

It's been a little while since I've posted...mainly because I've been busy!  With the training schedule both full speed ahead for Ironman in 13+ weeks and no ill effects from the shoulder, it seems like every minute is planned, and I live for every minute!  Chris has really ramped up the training schedule, and I know it will get even more intense as "the day" gets closer.  The dam for the lake seems to be going in as planned, so let's hope for the best!  I am focusing on what I can control, so if it is meant to be, it will be.

My right shoulder is 100%...I had to think which shoulder it was before I wrote "right"...so if that tells you anything, we are good to go!  Swimming is unaffected except for the occasional twinge (my doc said I will develop arthritis over time in the AC joint---can't wait for that!!). I've been able to complete all of my swim workouts without any soreness...biking and running have been pretty good as well, but once in a while during longer, more intense sessions, my shoulder does tell me that it's there---which concerns me thinking about what an Ironman does to your body....and I won't know until we get there.  A cortisone shot isn't out of the question, but I'll contemplate that only if the achiness increases as we get closer.

As far as my workouts, I am learning why Chris gets the results he does from his athletes...everything is set to a "T" and coordinates with itself perfectly.  I would doubt that I could do the volume that he has given me, but I get through it and have avoided overtraining syndrome and injury, and actually feel myself getting stronger for the Ironman philosophy of "riding the bike so you can run."  I've been biking a ton (about 200 miles a week) and not running too much, but when I do run, it's typically after a ride, and my legs feel fresh and fast (even after 100 miles on the road).  Better yet, my heart rate on those runs is staying very low considering, which tells me on race day I will be able to push substantially harder into a higher heart rate zone, but right now I'm running 7:15 min/mi on the flats---it's exciting, but I will need a mental plan for the race...the most important plan come race day!

Once we reach September, I have some type of race every 2 weeks, so I'll keep a diary of those "performances" here!  First up is a Open Water Swim...this should be a good indication of my swim progress!

Again, I can't put a post on here without sending my love to Jenny and Sophia---they have been incredible.  I know the long days (some days I don't see them except for when our heads hit the pillows) are challenging for "my" team, and I sincerely appreciate their understanding of me chasing one of my "Bucket List"  goals.  My heart sinks every time I head out the door, but I made this commitment to myself to give this my all, and if I give it anything less, I would always wonder what I am capable of.  I love you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment